I'm doing a study of the Tabernacle as taught by Beth Moore. It's just amazing to me the things that God has been able to teach me out of that study. Absolutely unbelievable. As is true with most of the revelations that El Elyon bestows upon me, the more I talk about it, the more sense it makes to me (it's called verbal processing, or in this case graphic processing).
What I read this morning was in Exodus 30, where the bronze basin - between the altar and the tabernacle - is described. Now, that structure in itself is a whole other entity that could be written about, but that's not the biggest lesson I received. The bronze basin was used for the priests to cleanse themselves after a sacrifice before they entered the Holy of Holies to dwell with the Most High. If they did NOT clean their hands and feet, scripture says they would DIE. What else does The Word say about feet-washing?
In John 13, Jesus washed his disciples' feet. Peter told Jesus that He could NEVER wash his feet. To which Jesus replied, "If you do not let me do this, you will have no part with me,". What "no part with me" means is that Peter, (as well as believers in general) as co-heir with Jesus to The Kingdom will not have a part along with Him. To me, that points right back to the priests having to wash their feet in order to dwell with Jehovah behind the curtain. Jesus, through the washing of feet, enables the rest of the disciples to go then and wash others' feet. (Because how can you cleanse without being clean yourself?) Without that feeling of humility that comes when your feet are washed and consequently, clean feet, the disciples could not themselves wash others' feet.
My question is "Is servanthood the avenue to true fellowship?". Let's equate servanthood with feet-washing. Until I can find myself vulnerable enough, until I get on my knees, I cannot very well wash anyone's feet. I cannot serve as selflessly as I am meant to. When someone else comes along and washes my feet, humbles me in that capacity with that amount of care, whether a divine being or not, I simply cannot serve. My point is, that if I'm not serving, I'm not is a true of fellowship as I can be. I may be standing outside the curtain, but I may not enter. Paul says that faith without works is dead, just like I will be if I don't cleanse my feet - dead in my faith. "For the Son of Man did not come to this earth to be served, but to SERVE and to GIVE HIS LIFE AS A RANSOM FOR MANY." And in trying my best to be Christlike, in order to dwell in the Holy of Holies, I must, I desire to do the same. How can I say that I love my God if I do not love my brother? How can I love my brother, then? By kneeling at his feet and serving him just as my Jesus served me - in an act of humility.
1 comment:
Funny thing, a few months back I seemed to remember my daughter saying to me, "I don't really consider myself servant hearted, I don't think I have the gift of mercy" I told you that I thought it was in you all along...I'm glad that it took a conversation with God for you to see it, it confirms to me what He was showing me, but it's better for you to have found this out on your own. I'm proud of you, as always...
Post a Comment