I feel like all my blogs are about relationships. So here's one about NOT relationships.
Lately, I've been thinking about something. Well, I think about a lot of things a lot of the time, but this is just one of the many subjects that run across that particular interstate of thought. "Garbage in - Garbage out"....Rubbish.
That phrase, "Garbage in - Garbage out" isn't Biblical. That phrase is found nowhere in scripture. Period. The Bible DOES say "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." Now, you ask, what does this have to do with anything? WELL, this whole thought process was evoked by a conversation I had recently. Let me preface this by saying that I don't believe in being a stumbling block. I believe what I believe, I am fully convinced of it, and am prepared to defend that before the Lord God one day. This other person, I'm sure, feels the same. I just happen to disagree on this particular point and I think nothing less of that other person because of their views. (That's just something I feel the need to say everytime I disagree with someone.) I'm not about to break out the Metallica when this person is in my home, and I'm sure that this person wouldn't push the Amy Grant CD's when I'm in his/her home.
SO, back to the subject, garbage and all that. This conversation was in reference to secular music. The idea behind the phrase is that if one listens to music that isn't praise music, it is a sin and soon enough whatever that song is portraying that isn't holy will come spewing out of my impressionable mouth. I disagree. And here's why:
1) "Garbage in - garbage out" isn't scriptural, therefore I'm not really inclined to take it as gospel.
2) The Bible says, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks", which to me means that if I take those "sinful" lyrics and write them on my heart as gospel truth, then yea, they will flow like water from my mouth. Being strong in my faith, I know better. Those that are mentors to Christians younger in the faith, be careful then how live. Not as fools but as wise, making the most of every opportunity for doing good and trying to understand what the Lord would have you to do in this case. Some are more impressionable than others.
3)I believe that music, in any form, is art. I believe that we serve a creative God that would have us to enjoy each other's creations. Enjoying Mike Portnoy's talent as a drummer and lyricist is pleasing to God. If I strive in my life to worship the Almighty, then I will take the risk of looking unholy to other people to enjoy the talents of a fellow human, who is just as flawed and imperfect as the next "holier than thou".
4) How will we know how to reach out to the world if we do not even speak the same language as the world? Music is the pulse of this generation. To me, listening to music outside of your local Jesus-tunes radio makes you a well-rounded person, able to relate with the meek and the weary and meet them where they are instead of expecting them to come up to your level. Example: Jesus's first miracle was to turn water into wine. Wine, in the wrong hands, can be a volitile substance - quite dangerous when either A: one gets drunk on it or B: you light it on fire. Knowing Jesus like I do, I don't think he would have done either of those. I think he would have been sensible with the whole ordeal. He didn't expect the people at that wedding to not get drunk just because he wouldn't, but at the same time, he himself turned that nice safe water into risky yet ceremonial wine. Same thing with music. It can be dangerous, depending on the condition of one's heart. Just don't expect the people around you to do the same thing you do and don't make people feel stupid for understanding something differently than you.
As with any opinion, The Lord, in His Mighty Complexity, reveals himself to people in many many different ways. If he has put on your heart to listen to Michael W Smith till you die, go for it. The Lord has released me to listen to "Secular" music because he knows my heart and knows that I appreciate the art side of it all - which is good, because I can't stand Michael W Smith. I am also not mentoring any young, actually impressionable hearts, in which case is another reason I am released from the burden of crappy Christian pop.
Food for thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment